Lahore High Court suspends NCCIA inquiry against journalist Imran Shafqat

Facebook
Twitter
Email
LinkedIn

The Lahore High Court (LHC)-Multan bench on August 12 temporarily suspended a National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) inquiry against journalist and YouTuber Imran Shafqat following a complaint by Federal Information Minister Attaullah Tarar.

During the hearing, representatives from the federal government and the NCCIA argued that the inquiry was still at a preliminary stage and that the agency’s territorial jurisdiction had not been established. The NCCIA sought more time to determine whether its Multan office had legal authority to proceed.

Shafqat’s counsel, Advocate Mian Dawood, challenged the Multan office’s jurisdiction, pointing out that Shafqat, a permanent resident of Lahore, had cooperated with the inquiry as a law-abiding citizen despite the jurisdictional concerns.

Justice Khalid Ishaq observed the agency’s uncertainty over jurisdiction and ordered the inquiry to remain suspended till the next hearing and said that the agency could obtain a legal opinion..

Shafqat had said that the NCCIA had no jurisdiction to conduct an inquiry against him for criticising, commenting on or analysing the government. He petitioned the court to declare the inquiry unlawful and a violation of his fundamental rights.

Previously, the court restrained the NCCIA from taking any coercive actions against Shafqat and directed him to respond to its notice.

The court scheduled September 28 for further arguments.

Quick Links