On February 12, unidentified gunmen opened fire at the residence of ARY News correspondent and former Bannu Press Club president Ihsan Khattak in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. No casualties were reported. Police registered a case and initiated an investigation.
Khattak told the Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) that unknown armed men fired at the main gate of his house during the night of February 12. He said the attack caused damage to the gate and outer walls but resulted in no injuries.
He stated that for several weeks, unidentified motorcyclists had been following him to and from the press club and during reporting assignments. He said he had submitted an application seeking protection at Saddar Police Station. Khattak added that he had been receiving threatening calls from unknown numbers. He said he had no personal enmity with anyone and could not identify who was behind the attack.
Khattak said his reporting on terrorism and crime stories might have led to threats. He stated that during 2017–18, he had received direct threats, including threats against his children and family, from an unknown number. On the advice of his organisation, he relocated to Islamabad for safety. He said that during that period, his mobile phone and laptop containing evidence were stolen. He returned to Bannu in 2023 and said threats resumed.
ARY News Bureau Chief and Vice President of the Peshawar Press Club, Zia ul Huq, confirmed the attack while speaking to PPF. He said Khattak had been facing threats for a long time, which had led to his displacement. He added that Khattak had filed complaints with the district administration and that law enforcement agencies were investigating the matter.
Station House Officer Allah Nawaz Khan of Bannu City Police Station said police reached the scene, collected evidence and registered a case against unidentified suspects. He said investigations were ongoing and legal action would be taken against those involved.
Bannu Press Club condemned the incident and called for a transparent inquiry. Journalistic organisations, traders’ bodies and civil society members urged the government and law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of journalists so that they could perform their professional responsibilities.

