No formal information literacy programme under the ministry; APP appointments are temporary, NA told

Facebook
Twitter
Email
LinkedIn

On February 11, the National Assembly was informed that no formal Information Literacy Programme is currently operating under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, although affiliated departments are conducting awareness initiatives through various platforms. During the same question hour, the House was also told that no permanent recruitment had taken place at the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP), with all recent appointments made temporarily within approved positions and budgetary limits.

Responding to questions in the House, Parliamentary Secretary for Information and Broadcasting Daniyal Chaudhry said there was no programme running under the specific title of Information Literacy. However, he stated that institutions attached to the ministry were undertaking activities aimed at enhancing public awareness and promoting responsible media engagement through different forums.

He informed the House that Pakistan Television Corporation (PTV) is running training courses and awareness programmes. He added that the PTV Drama and Film Academy is conducting capacity-building initiatives for media professionals, focusing on digital literacy, artificial intelligence (AI), ethical journalism, credible news production and public awareness content.

The Parliamentary Secretary further said that the Press Information Department (PID) is conducting outreach and awareness programmes. He also stated that the Information Service Academy (ISA) is organising specialised training programmes, mid-career courses, AI workshops, seminars and academic outreach activities during 2024-25, integrating information and media literacy, ethics and digital communication skills into its curricula.

During the same sitting, Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr Tariq Fazal Chaudhry addressed concerns regarding recruitment at APP in response to questions raised by members, including Muhammad Riaz Khan. He confirmed that no permanent recruitment had been made and that temporary appointments were carried out to meet professional requirements in accordance with the powers delegated by the APP Board of Directors.

Dr Chaudhry said the appointments were made within approved posts and budgetary limits to ensure professional performance and financial continuity without placing an additional burden on the national exchequer. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting also submitted a written reply reiterating that the recruitments were in line with the delegated authority of the Board of Directors and existing regulations.

According to the written response, the Auditor General’s report had identified financial irregularities, unauthorised fund transfers and 20 fictitious recruitments. The ministry stated that the APP administration took immediate action and, on the recommendations of a fact-finding committee, referred the matters to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA). Following registration of cases, investigation and recovery proceedings are underway.

The written reply further stated that the institution had rehired trained staff from a previous project through transparent examinations and interviews at lower salaries and grades to safeguard technical equipment and maintain operations. It said all appointments were made within the approved budget and workforce limits to maintain financial discipline.

During supplementary questions, Agha Rafiullah said that focusing on public issues would deliver direct benefits to citizens. Aalia Kamran also raised a supplementary question, to which the minister repeated the ministry’s written response.

Quick Links