Swat Press Club marks 17th death anniversary of journalist Musa Khankhel, renews call for justice

Facebook
Twitter
Email
LinkedIn

 On February 16, the Swat Press Club observed the 17th death anniversary of journalist Musa Khankhel, where journalists, government officials and community representatives gathered to pay tribute to his work and recall commitments made to his family. A prayer ceremony was held to mark the occasion and recognise his contribution to journalism and peace efforts.

Addressing the gathering, Masood Ahmed, Commissioner of Malakand Division, said that the peace currently prevailing in Swat was the result of collective sacrifices by civilians, security forces and other stakeholders. Malakand Deputy Inspector General Syed Fida Hassan Shah also paid tribute, stating that Khankhel’s sacrifice for responsible reporting and peace would continue to be remembered.

Senior journalist Mehboob Ali expressed concern that those involved in Khankhel’s killing had not yet been arrested and urged the government to fulfil the commitments made to his family. Fazal Rahim Khan, Chairman of the Swat Press Club, alongside General Secretary Adnan Khan, called on Senate Chairman Yousaf Raza Gillani to honour the pledge of providing a residential plot in Islamabad to the family.

President of the Swat Union of Journalists, Shehzad Alam, stated that peace in Swat had been achieved through the sacrifices of journalists and other sections of society, and that the journalist community would continue to support the family’s outstanding demands.

Khankhel’s brother, Isa Khankhel, said the promise of allotting a plot in Islamabad, made in 2009 by the then prime minister and now Senate chairman, remained unfulfilled. Musa Khankhel, who worked for Geo News and Daily The News International, was abducted and killed on February 18, 2009, while covering a peace rally in Matta tehsil of Swat district.

Quick Links