
The government restored advertisements to Suno News after assurances from its management regarding the payment of dues, while maintaining a ban on advertisements to another private TV channel over the dismissal of 170 workers.
Speaking during meetings with media representatives in Islamabad, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar said the government remained committed to safeguarding journalists and media workers, stressing that media organisations must ensure timely payment of salaries and avoid unjustified dismissals.
A delegation from Suno News informed the minister that outstanding dues of recently laid-off employees would be cleared and that no further salary cuts or dismissals would take place. The channel’s management also agreed to reinstate lower-level staff, including drivers and technical workers.
Tarar said that Suno New had started to implement the agreed upon points which had led to lifting of the ad suspension, adding that “every possible effort” was going to be made to provide alternative employment for those who had been laid off.
Tarar said address administrative and financial issues in coordination with media organisations.
The minister further revealed that the management of AAJ News had contacted the ministry, with a meeting scheduled for the following day.
The developments follow a protest by the Parliamentary Reporters Association, whose members staged a walkout from the National Assembly press gallery on May 11 against layoffs and non-payment of salaries in private media houses.
Addressing the National Assembly after the protest, Tarar announced the suspension of all government advertisements to another private TV channel until its management presented a satisfactory explanation and plan regarding the termination of 170 employees.
Responding to concerns raised over the suspension of advertisements to DawnNewsTV and the associated newspaper, the minister had confirmed that government advertisements had now been restored after progress towards a settlement.
Tarar also referred to another television channel accused of withholding salaries for three months, saying its management had been summoned to Islamabad for discussions aimed at resolving the matter.
The minister urged media owners to engage with employees to reach settlements and said the government was prepared to facilitate arbitration where necessary. He reiterated that protecting journalists’ job security and ensuring payment of dues remained a priority for the government in consultation with coalition partners and the opposition.


